Have you ever wanted to dive into a pool full of caramel? Gooey, sticky, delicious caramel! Well now we have created the perfect HEALTHY caramel and used it in a fabulous Raw Caramel Slice – deeeeeelicious!
For the base
- 1/2 cup dates
- 1 cup coconut meat, shredded
- 1 cup cashews
- 1 Tbs coconut oil
For the caramel
- 1 cup cashews, soaked overnight
- 1 cup dates, soaked overnight
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
For the chocolate
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 3-4 tablespoons maple syrup
- Blend all ‘base’ ingredients together in a high-speed blender until it forms a sticky base (I used my Optimum Blender).
- Press into a square or rectangular baking tin. I used a bread tin for this batch.
- Put into freezer while you make the caramel layer.
- For the caramel, blend the cashews and dates together.
- Add the tahini and coconut oil and blend until combined. Pour caramel over the base layer and place back into freezer.
- In a double boiler, melt the coconut oil. Add the cocoa and maple syrup. Stir gently until all ingredients are combined. Leave the mixture to cool for 10-15 minutes to allow it to thicken.
- Pour chocolate over the caramel layer and place back into the freezer.
- Freeze for at least two hours. Cut into squares with a hot knife, and store in an air-tight container in the freezer for up to two weeks.
P.S. they lasted two days in our household! 😉
xx The Coconut Queen